Sunday, April 2, 2023

Bryophytes & Lichen. Chiddingly Wood part of the Wakhurst and Chiddingly Woods SSSI 28.03.18

I visited Chidingly Woods to complete my visit of Wakehurst & Chiddingly Woods SSSI; I visisted the Wakehurst Wood part of the SSS, on 14.03.18

It rained all the time I was in Chiddingly Wood! The landscape is tryical of High Weald ghyll woodland, with steep sided valleys formed by streams cutting through Wadhurst Clay and Tunbridge Wells sands, exposing outcrops of sandstone. The valleys have a warm, moist micro-climate, with a rich variety of cryptograms

These identifications are all provisional. Please do comment if you think I have got any identification wrong!

Barbula sp.


Calliergonella cuspidata 


Cladonia coniocrea 


Dicranum scoparium 


Didymon vinealis


Hypnogymnia physodes


Hypnum cupressiforme & Thamnobryum alopecurum 


Hypnum cupressiforme 


Kindbergi praelonga


Mnium hornum 



Pellia epiphylla











Plagiothecium undulatum


Physciella chloantha



Polytrichum formosum and Kinderbergia praelonga 


Pseudocrossidium hornschuchianum


Rhynchostegium riparioides 



Trapelia coartata 




Landscape scenes

















No comments:

Post a Comment

I am grateful to receive corrections if I have made an identification error.

Balcombe. Lichens. 14.04.23

I visited Walk Wood and St Mary's Churchyard in Balcombe with a friend who is an expert lichenologist. All of these identifications were...