Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Bryum capillare, Brighton. 17.01.23

I am having to self-isolate at the moment due to having covid, so I made a field trip to my back garden and picked up a clump of moss that had been washed off the roof by the recent rain. This is the first time I have dissected a moss and examined the sections under my microscope. I think this moss is Bryum capillare, one of the UK's most common mosses.


Slides: leaf and capsule


Capsule 

40x


100x


Leaf

40x

100x


400x





Morphology of moss 


Illustration from Plant Science 4 U

Morphology of moss capsules


Illustration Harvard Flora of North America

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am grateful to receive corrections if I have made an identification error.

Balcombe. Lichens. 14.04.23

I visited Walk Wood and St Mary's Churchyard in Balcombe with a friend who is an expert lichenologist. All of these identifications were...